Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The best hair care products for dry hair

Hair care is a journey. Pretty profound, yep, I know, but in some manner it is. Many of us - especially me - have been looking for just the right combination of products and appliances to give us the best hair care. Shampoo, conditioners, styling appliances like flat irons, curling irons or curlers, and styling aids have all played a role in giving us the hair style we want.
For me the journey to find the perfect look has been elusive. There's just not much you can do with thin hair and a couple of well-placed and prominent cow-licks. Its just not going to happen. The quest, however, remained active into my twenties until work, girls, and outside activities took the main stage. I simply didn't have the time or internet to work on what seemed to be a hopeless endeavor. I did realize that I could do with what I had and that proper hair care products would help me greatly.
Dry hair is difficult to control after shampooing, it looks thin and rough, it is susceptible to tangles and has ends that are dry and split. It has a non-slippery feel and does not slide through your fingers. This doesn't necessarily go along with a dry scalp. However, if your scalp is dry, you may develop dandruff and your hair may become thin if the dandruff is not treated.
The main cause of dry hair is lack of sebum in the scalp, which makes the hair coarse and brittle and susceptible to damage. Poor nutrition, exposure to the sun and over use of heated appliances can also rob the hair of valuable moisture. Brushing and combing will help to stimulate the scalp and distribute existing oils to the brittle ends. The aim of a hair care regime for dry hair is to replenish oil and moisture in the hair. So, the emphasis is on conditioning. Frequent shampooing should be avoided.
A generous oil application the night before washing your hair is recommended, as this will condition the hair and scalp and stimulate the oil glands and circulation flow as well. If your hair is very dry and damaged, apply a hydrating mask once a week. Avoid vigorous drying with a towel after washing your hair, as this will remove essential moisture. Instead gently squeeze excess water from the hair and blot dry with a towel.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed Very useful information specially the last part I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete